HomeSchoolsTiny rural primary school with just two pupils faces permanent closure

Tiny rural primary school with just two pupils faces permanent closure

A village primary school with just two pupils on its roll could close permanently this summer after councillors were told it is no longer educationally or financially sustainable.

Devon County Council’s Cabinet is being asked to approve the closure of Shaugh Prior Primary School from Monday, August 31, after years of falling pupil numbers and concerns over the school’s long-term viability.

The rural school, part of the Exe Valley and Moorsway Federation, currently has only two pupils enrolled. Since September 2025, both children have been educated off-site at Cornwood Primary School to ensure access to a broader curriculum and opportunities to learn alongside other children their age.

The council report states that following an Ofsted inspection in December 2024, the school was judged inadequate and issued with a Directive Academy Order by the Department for Education. However, the Department later concluded the school may not be financially or educationally viable because of extremely low pupil numbers and difficulties finding a suitable academy sponsor.

A viability assessment found there were very low numbers of pre-school children living within the school’s catchment area. The report states there have been no applications for Reception places for the 2026/27 academic year.

According to Devon County Council, nearby schools have enough spare places to accommodate displaced pupils if the closure is approved.

The council also confirmed there are currently no staff employed directly at Shaugh Prior Primary School. Staff previously working there have already been redeployed elsewhere within the federation.

A statutory proposal to close the school was published on Thursday, March 5, with a four-week representation period ending on Thursday, April 2.

During consultation sessions, residents and parish councillors raised concerns about the future of the school building and land if the closure goes ahead. Suggestions for future use included a special educational needs provision, a community learning hub, an outward-bound centre and environmental education projects.

Cornwood Parish Council supported the closure proposal, saying it was in the best interests of local primary school provision after considering demographic trends and future projections.

However, objections were also submitted. One resident said the council should direct more children to the school and argued that smaller schools can better meet children’s needs. Another criticised the consultation process, claiming parents had already been told to find alternative schools because there would be no teaching staff available from September.

The report states that while there is a national presumption against closing rural schools, councils can proceed if there is strong evidence closure is in the best interests of education provision in the area.

If approved, families would be invited to apply for places at alternative schools and Devon County Council said it would support parents through the admissions process.

The Cabinet is due to consider the recommendation at its meeting on Wednesday, May 20.

RELATED ARTICLES

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -
Google search engine

Most Popular

Recent Comments